This is Why You Should Switch to HTTPS
Amid the bubbling atmosphere of technology, the one factor which concerns everyone is ‘Security’. Everybody knows the tumultuous nature of internet and the risks involved while surfing. Engineers are sweating out constantly to make it more secure, but technology always brings up new ones.
And this time the new one is HTTPS.
Some time back, people started to notice while browsing the internet, that some website had ‘https://’ written before the web address and sometimes it was not. The ‘https://’ indicated that the communication with the server was secured. HTTP is a protocol over which the data is transferred between the server and the client. HTTPS means the transfer of data is encrypted and secure. Net banking and eCommerce have become much reliable because of this enhanced security.
Why is HTTPS so important?
Today, almost half of the world’s web traffic is encrypted. Thanks to the HTTPS communication protocol. HTTPS means ‘Secure Hypertext Transport Protocol’ communication between the server and its web browser client. The information on HTTPS is secured by three layers, to prevent any unauthorized access. The three layers are Encryption, Data integrity, and Authentication.
A secure site is a big positive for the users. Search engines will take positive note out of the secure site.
Advantages of HTTPS
1. Secure encrypted communication between the server and the web browser. It verifies the destination server and prevents tampering by others. That means your customers’ information is secured.
2. The referrer data which indicates from where the traffic is coming is preserved with HTTPS, unlike HTTP where the referral data is lost. As more and more websites make a switch to HTTPS, this might change the SEO trends and digital marketing scenario.
3. The search engine giant Google is consistently encouraging webmasters to switch to secure HTTPS. As it is one of ranking factors for the website, this leads to more traffic to the website.
SEMRush checked 100,000 random keywords to know any correlation between SERP positions and usage of HTTPS. And they have found that around 45% of results in the first position used HTTPS and around 50% of results in the second position used HTTPS.
4. The trust from users and conversion rate is increased many fold because of the security factor. GlobalSign studied and concluded that 84% of users would abandon a purchase if data was sent over an insecure connection. This means, an environment of safety gives the customer peace of mind, which results in loyal customers.
5. As the insecure networks and Wi-Fi are increasingly used by the people, HTTPS prevents secure information from being tracked, corrupted, copied or attacked by malware.
Disadvantages of HTTPS
- The cost of obtaining SSL license every year might be a dent in the pockets of small website owners. And as the demand for SSL license increase, the price of renewing might increase too.
- Google would only allow your AdSense ads to SSL compliant clients, which means a sizable decrease in the AdSense earnings.
- Frequent security checks and content duplication of back links may slowdown the loading time for the site, which directly affects search engine ranking and user experience.
- The IT industry is slowly adapting the transition; sometime web applications have trouble following HTTPS URLS, especially if implementation is improper while moving it to HTTPS.
Below are few recommendations to avoid consequences while moving to HTTPS:
- Redirect all HTTP URLS to HTTPS using 301 redirect, also make sure the canonical tags are not duplicated and they point to HTTPS only.
- Revise the internal links, as many as possible, to make them point to HTTPS.
- Revise the site map in robots.txt file and make sure it doesn’t block HTTPS site from crawling.
- Register and submit the new HTTPS sitemap with Google and Bing Webmaster Tools.
- Implement Disavow tool to clean up the wrong backlinks, which might be causing some SEO issues.
- Make sure search engines can crawl and render the HTTPS site using Fetch and Render function in webmaster tools.
It is fairly easy for an engineer to see through the migration from HTTP to HTTPS but for amateurs, dealing with the technicalities is difficult.
Switching over to HTTPS is a technical process and it would require a keen eye on your side. It is recommended to consult professionals to implement it. But in any case, the no. of HTTPS sites is going to increase more and more. And if Google is so sure about the future of HTTPS, it is only logical to keep up with Google. HTTPS are highly secure system for your site and the users as well. HTTPS means more trust and more conversion.
SearchNative offers 360 degree digital marketing services which would take care of your all concerns about SEO and SMO. With SearchNative, you can easily make your website secure and also take care that it doesn’t hamper your SEO strategy. Our team of experts is sure to give your website the optimum ranking and highest level of security. Get secure with SearchNative.
Image Courtesy: Helpnetsecurity.com